fot

RE: VTR Nationals, Re: John and Val's Excellent Weekend

To: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@corp.honeywell.com>,
Subject: RE: VTR Nationals, Re: John and Val's Excellent Weekend
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 97 08:17:37 EDT
On Jul 17, 11:00am, "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" wrote:
> All that said, however, if the Chicago
> Historics are again on the third weekend in July in 1998, it will be the
> weekend before the '98 VTR.  The Historics are held in "nearby" Elkhart
> Lake, Wisconsin.  Does one of the racers on this list know the correct date
> of the '98 Chicago Historics?  Irv?
>
>> R John Lye wrote: "It was nice to see so many race cars in the show - this
>> is something that I'd really like to see the VTR encourage.  There are a
>> lot of really neat cars out there on the vintage circuit that a lot of
>> folks would really enjoy seeing."
>
>  -- Couldn't agree more.  What can we do from our end (host club) to
> encourage their attendance?

..couple of thoughts.  I don't know what (if any) you advertising
budget is like.  However, you might want to try reaching some of
the Triumph racers who might not normally get VTR mailings by
placing an ad in one or more of the vintage racing magazines like
Victory Lane and/or Vintage Motorsport.  Maybe you could get the
Chicago Historics people to include one of your brochures in their
registration application packet.  I suspect that most of those
folks would need considerable lead time, since they'll probably
be planning their racing season early on.  Maybe an announcement
in the newsletters for some of the vintage race clubs (especially
those with a strong presence in the Midwest).  Also, you'll need
to have events that they'll be interested in like some driving
events; maybe a day of lap time at the track, some of them might
be interested in the autocross, also the idea of a race car section
in the car show.  You might even want to try and get some of the
racers to talk about vintage racing - maybe a workshop of some
sort.  I don't know if any of these ideas are feasible or not,
but the caffeine is starting to kick in this morning...

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm