fot

Running Again.....Well, sort of.

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Running Again.....Well, sort of.
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 14:56:49 -0400
Well at 1:00 AM Thurs morning I had finished the car.. The crew meet me at
8:00 AM, we load the motorhome, get the car and spares on the trailer and
we're off to Pocono. Get to the track around 5:00 PM Friday to spend an
hour or so in line at registration. I try to take the tunnel entrance to
the track and find a sign saying "11'-0" max. height". Everybody out. Find
the tape measure and try to get a measurement to the top of the AC on the
roof of the motorhome. It's really close.  We ask the entrance worker what
the actual height is. He informs us that it MAY be 11'-1" or so. If we try
to go through and hit the board at the tunnel entrance we are "backing that
rig right out of here". An interesting prospect with a line of 20 or so
cars and trailers stacked up behind us. Any way I push ahead, we get
through dragging the antennae the whole way.

Set up the canopy and get the car out. I go down to tech and find that the
production classes are up for a full retech. So I walk back, get the car
and get in line for tech. Odd I only see a couple spec racers in line.
Where are the production cars? I ask a scrutineer. I'm told that the NE
national chief has instructed his crew that he wants to look at the Prod
cars himself. The only problem is that he not there. He should be there
some time tomorrow. It seems that he has to go to the airport to pick up
some Denver bigwigs that are very interested in seeing how some of these
National Production cars are complying with the new changes in roll cage
rules. So how in the world do I make my first session in the morning I ask?
With no real answer forthcoming I search out the Steward. He explains that
I should just have a saftey gear check, get my sticker and check with back
with them some time tomorrow.

I get back to the car and find that it has attracted quite a crowd. Several
of the drivers that had seen the car after the Connelsville mishap are
there. I'm pleased to hear all the nice comments concerning the rebuild. A
fellow from New Jersy tells me that I can have a TR-4 that has been in his
fathers garage for a decade. He says he will come by and make arrangements.
I never see him again. Bill Thumel and Chuck Botwright check in. (We were
paddocked next to them at Connelsville). Good to see them. Bill is leading
the division in GT-2 points this year in his 300ZX.

Out for the first session  Sat morning I'm a little apprehensive. I must
confess that the fire really made me have some thoughts about my racing
involvement. But I have checked the new Aeroquipt fittings at least 6 or 8
times and I am able to convince myself that all is well, the possibilities
are very small that such an occurance would happen today, anyway. Out to
the false grid, then the track. I pick up some speed, settle into the 16
degree bank at T1 and woosch!. What appears to be smoke is everywhere! Oh
No!  AGAIN? ......a few seconds later I realize that what is coming out of
the car was the play sand that I had used to sandblast the frame and tub!
Though I had blown it down with the compressor, I didn't get it all......

The race was pretty uneventful. The Hinkle Super Seven ran away but I did
manage a second in a small field. The banks and concrete walls seem even
more substantial at speed. In all, I really prefer road courses and would
leave the high banks to the Winston guys, but I needed the points and the
shake down.

Problems:  The same high speed miss that I've had all season. Only occurs
under load at high RPM. It feels more like a surge than anything else. The
motor note changes for a wink then goes back to the same. I had thought it
was a function of the air box but that was removed for this event. Dropping
fuel pressure seemed to help a little. It is erratic and may only happen
once or twice a lap. Ideas, anyone?

Best racing wishes from Virginia....

Chip