fot

Re: TR-10 ?

To: tedtsimx@bright.net
Subject: Re: TR-10 ?
From: kevin allen <allenkma@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:32:27 -0800
Ted Schumacher wrote:

> kevin allen wrote:
> >
> > Here is a question that possibly someone could help me with , the odd
> > Spitfire heads that are appearing around the country are perplexing me .
> > I have had more than one person describe them as TR-10 heads . Am I
> > showing my ignorance by not knowing what this is ? Any help would be
> > appreciated .
> >                      Thanks ;
> >                      Kevin Allen
> kevin, the head you are looking for is from a 948 herald.  i was one of
> the people called in by scca at the run-offs to give testimony on the
> legality(?) of this head.  a protest had been filed by a competitor
> against the spitfires that were using this head.  the reason for using
> this head is the size of the combustion chamber. since it is appreciably
> smaller in volume, the head does not need to be milled as severly to
> achieve extremly high compression. this enable different piston top
> designs. alternate cam/valve lift combinations,etc.  i have several
> people that want this head so i will source them from the uk. if you are
> interested, let me know.  this also brings up the topic of pushrods.
> some people are promoting an ultra stiff tubular pushrod. one of the top
> engine builders in the country mentioned to me that they have gone back
> to even stock pushrods since the extrme rigidity of the large diameter
> pushrods was causing more harm than benefit. this has been born out in
> conversations with several enigne builders/cam designers and pushrod
> mfg's.  we still make the 5/16" chromemoly we suppl;ied brit. leylands
> USA comp. dept./  ted
> --
> Ted Schumacher
> TS Imported Automotive
> 404 Basinger Rd.
> Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
> Ph. 800/543-6648 (sorry, USA only)
> Ph. 419/384-3022 - tech./general information
> FAX 419/384-3272 - 24 hrs
> New-Used-Rebuilt-NOS-Performance British car parts.
> We also have used sports cars for sale.
> Always 200 - 300 cars for parts in our British-only
> salvage yard.
 Thanks Ted and Andy for the info . I do have a couple of quick
questions about these heads . The 3/4 reach plug that is used in the
heads I saw and the outer appearance of the head leads me to think that
these are a newer casting , were these cast as service replacement heads
? Why would Triumph go back to the poorer plug placement in the 1147
heads ? The smaller chamber would indeed make it easier to get the
compression up but the major advantage that I saw was the ability to
shape the chamber MUCH better and the plug moves towards the center of
the chamber significantly . Some of the guys I talked to mentioned an
inherant cooling / head sealing weakness with these , have you heard
about this ?
                           thanks again ;
                           Kevin Allen
           " The only thing brakes are good for is slowing you down "
                          Rick Cline