fot

Re: TR4/A Gas Lines

To: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4/A Gas Lines
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:33:47
At 11:04 AM 2/13/98 -0500, Kevin  O'Driscoll wrote:

Here are my opinions - and they're just opinions...

>I have two questions regarding Gas Lines on the TR4 and TR4A series.  The
>push fit original gas line seems to be a rather less than a safe
>arrangement for the racing environment.

Agreed - although I'm still using a stock tank, albeit with hose clamps
added <sheepish grin>

>Q1:  What options are recommended as alternatives?

Well, the best choice would be to replace the stock tank with a
fuel cell.  I suppose that you could get someone to boil out the
tank and then weld on some aeroquip fittings (or start with one
of the new repro tanks and add fttings to one of them).

>Also as a subquestion what do people do about relocating
>the gas pump away from the engine, and what alternative pumps are
>recommended?

I've mounted a big Mallory pump (110 series, as I recall) to the
trunk floor (actually the side wall of the spare tire area).  If
you do this, you'll need to use a fuel pressure regulator as most
pumps have too much pressure for either SUs os Webers, neither of
which like much pressure.

>Q2:  What was the original routing of the gas line for the
>IRS frame vs. the old TR4 ladder frame, and are these considered safe by
>modern standards?

Dunno, sorry.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu