fot

Flares...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Flares...
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 23:08:05 EST
OK, here's one I feel I can handle...

Back in the "olden days", when men were men and tires were skinny, SCCA
definetly did NOT allow flares on anything (remember 4" dunlop "green spots"?)
Then tires started gettin a bit wider and the inner lips on most fenders got
rolled over for clearance. On some cars it has been known that the drivers
actually greased the inner fender where it rubbed on the tires with axle
grease before each session (ok, I've still got the grease stains on my nomex
were I leaned on the fenders after a session). Other drivers were known to
pull up to the proverbial unmoveable object, select first gear and "bulge" the
front end a little (wait, am I givin speed secrets away here?)
Finally, SCCA decided it was ok to flair your fenders (for tire clearance
only) as long as the opening looked the same when viewed from the side of the
car. I think that they first allowed those mods in 1972, so it depends on just
what "period" of time your racing sanction deems applicable to your car.
With a little time, a torch, and a large hammer, you can stretch the rear
fenders on a 3 almost 5" further out and the fronts 4" !

And yes, I always tried to be first into impound so I could park one side
against a wall and sit on the other "non-flared" fender for half an
hour...guess where the grease stains are ?
     Nick in Nor Cal