fot

RE: Spit wheel bearings and endfloat

To: susan@grotecon.com, Amici Triumphi <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spit wheel bearings and endfloat
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:52:32 -0800
I usually use a dial indicator--attach it to the brake backing plate (I
use a magnetic stand) and set it so the direction of travel is in line
with the axle. Set the indicator so about half the travel is taken up.
Push the hub in firmly and read, pull out firmly and read, the
difference is your endfloat (unless something wiggles).

Someone probably has another opinion, but I think as long as you stick
to the well-known manufacturers (timken, skf, etc.), bearings is
bearings as long as they are big. Especially when it comes to conical
wheel bearings.