fot

Re: rear axles

To: rgb@exact.com
Subject: Re: rear axles
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:04:59 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Here's what I do know.

There is at least one Nissan possibility. They had a "fluid coupled" or
some such diff from a 300 ZX that is basically a drop in. That and the
associated axles is supposed to be a pretty good setup. Except that it's
not as good as a Quaiffe or a "locker". I expect that one would have to
shorten the axles on that setup, but I don't know that for sure.

Apparently, Scott Witt, of Beastly A Prepared TVR 2500M Solo II fame, had
done this with his car. For some reason, he took that setup out and went
to Jaguar IRS. Perhaps John Lye can chime in on this.

I do know that Scott Witt has some serious power in his car and he was able
to snap axles more or less at will... a bad thing indeed.

A rumor that I've heard is that some of the earlier Nissan units were
more or less a drop in, and it is possible that the Group 44 TR6 had one
of these setups. It would certainly be concievable that this setup would
work considering the association of Msgrs. Newman and Sharp...

As for BMW, there is probably some possibility there, several of the
older cars that I've looked underneath, particularly the 633/635 cars
look surprisingly similar to the old Triumph Salisbury differential...

I've also heard that Subaru had a diff that is very much like the TR6
setup, although, again, I've only seen a few of these cars from
underneath and the setup did not look anything like my TR6. I presume
that the Subaru diff is the same unit that Nissan/Datsun had used...

The pictures of the UK produced CV jointed axle looks like they use new
axle stubs at the outer end. This would be a good thing, as _all_ the
hubs that I dissasembled have signs that the hub twists against the axle
stub causing little wear marks/ dishing and I presume that this is where
the cracks start.

But I still maintain that if someone can sell a setup for $1000, there has
to be a way to do the same things for $500, all things considered. So.
I'll keep looking.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |