fot

RE: rear axles

To: "'Bob Lang'" <LANG@isis.mit.edu>, "'rgb@exact.com'" <rgb@exact.com>,
Subject: RE: rear axles
From: "Bownes, Robert M. (EXCH)" <RMBOWNES@intermedia.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:33:30 -0400
>>I do know that Scott Witt has some serious power in his car and he was able
>>to snap axles more or less at will... a bad thing indeed.
>
>Yeah, that was apparently partly a function of the fact that he was
>using stock TVR stub axles, which are apparently a known weak spot.

And, being a TVR2500, they are actually a TR6 part.

>>As for BMW, there is probably some possibility there, several of the
>>older cars that I've looked underneath, particularly the 633/635 cars
>>look surprisingly similar to the old Triumph Salisbury differential...
>
>I've been told that the 2002 unit will fit in some Triumphs, but I
>think that it might have been the Spit/GT-6 cars.  My memory is
>failing me on this one.

I find it hard to believe. the 2002 diff is very long & narrow. Like
about 50% longer than a big TR unit. And 75% of the width.

>Again, this is a vague memory, but I think that the Subaru rear diff
>internals are the same as the early 240-Z diffs or at least that they
>interchange with the Nissan parts.  Something like that.  They do look
>different to me, too but that's just the external case since I've
>never opened either one up.

As I recall the 240Z unit is a bit bigger than the TR6. But I'd have to
delve into Lenny's basement to find out. There is one of each in close
proximity...