fot

Re: Header coating and other questions...

To: DLMAssoc@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Header coating and other questions...
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:54:00 EDT

<<
 Hello all:

 I got my new Stahl header yesteday and it looks great.  If it fits
 and works as good as it looks I'll be a happy camper.  Before I
 start though, I've got a couple questions for the group...

 1.  I've had at least one recommendation that I have it powder
 coated, another says don't do anything.  What's the general
 concensus?  Is powder coating important?  Is high temp paint
 sufficient?  Should I leave it "nekkid"?

Don-

Don't know if Stahl still uses that dull silver stuff on their headers (hate
to call it paint as it never seemed to dry and handling it wiped it off), but
the stuff stays on for a long time, like a coupla years in a race car.
<Personal Opinion Mode On>
I now Jet-Hot all my headers. Looks good, last a VERY long time, and just
might actually help in the power department if you believe their claims (I've
never done  dyno runs to check).

Check the exit height on the header before you do anything. The original
design was intended for an under the frame exit, and as a result will hang
very low on today's setups. A little judicious use of a jack and some heat
will allow the header outlet to be moved up in line with a thru the frame
exit.

Feeling exhausted myself...
   Nick in Nor Cal