fot

RE: The Big Bang

To: "'Richard Taylor'" <n196x@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: The Big Bang
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:04:34 -0500
Richard Taylor....

Lessons Learned:

If you have any thoughts that you might have unduly stressed the hub, =
please
consider replacing it. I would suspect that you have. At least crack =
check
with the best method available.

It WILL break. The good news is that when it does, it will not allow =
the
wheel to depart from the car, and you will just come to a stop. I broke =
one
at Blackhawk Farms Raceway and decided that the other hub is likely to =
break
too, since it was subjected to the same removal method & stresses.   It =
did.
At Mid-Ohio....borrowed one that had been removed with a big press (I =
think)
and it broke too.   (Someone located a complete assembly and I was back =
in
business, again)

I might have a hub or two extra, if you need one, BTW.

After seeing 25 ton presses cause folks to run for cover and factory =
tools
not get the job done...I have another method that COULD be done in
combination with the above.

I heat soak the hub and then cold water quench, and then reheat.=20

I have a =BD"  industrial composite pad that looks like nylon and with =
the nut
flush with the end of the shaft, I drop the shaft & hub sharply =
downward on
the pad. If it doesn't break loose I repeat the cycle. I think the =
"heat to
cold to heat" shock cycle breaks the bonding of thirty years. 100% =
success
rate with little effort required, so far. No damage to nut or end of =
shaft.

My only concern is that I might Brinnel the bearings, with the drop to =
pad,
but I have see no evidence to date.  In any case the hot & cold cycling
could be used in conjunction with the factory tool or a press, if you =
dont
like banging the shaft. Sounds better than a BFH, tho...  :-)    I am =
sure
there will be more opinions....and they are welcome.

Let me know if I can help out with a hub...I can take a look at my =
stock.

I am also going to put the arm on you for your attendance at BRIC, =
doncha
know. Even if you dont bring your car. Please try.

Regards,

Joe=20