fot

Re: Pressing Questions...

To: TR BILBO <TRBILBO@AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: Pressing Questions...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 14:51:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 4 May 1998, TR BILBO wrote:

> What a coincidence. I took one apart today. 24 tons!! No lie. The BANG was
> deafening. I'm beginning to think it's worth the rebuilt exchange price after
> all. Don't you "know" someone with a shop? A press like this is like a boat.
> It's good to know someone who owns one. Good luck.

This is why the "churchill tool" is the way to go... if you can find one.

But you should see the size of the "lever" that you need to make to
create the pressure! I used a 36 inch pipe wrench with a five-foot pipe
on it to get enough leverage for the last 1/4 turn....

But, you can do it with the hub on the car - believe it or not, on the
TR6 hub, that is an advantage.

As for using a regular hydraulic press, at least on TR6 hubs, the back
side of the hub has a slight dish to it... I can see that with 20 tons or
more of pressure that you might distort the part. In fact I've done that
with a TR6 inner axle stub... the thing was trash after _over 30 tons_ of
hydraulic pressure.

Speaking of which, I will be publishing some measured specs for the
Churchill hub tool as soon as I get some free time. I might try machining
something out of a billet of steel, just for laughs, but in the meantime
I have a feeler out for one of the tools to keep at my shop.

This is def. a case of "the right tool for the right job".

> Bill Burroughs, VTR So West Rep, E Ticket Triumphs, Founder SCTOA
> 70 TR6, 69 TR250, 73 MkIV, 69 GT6+, 59 TR3A and two 65 TR4A
> Vintage Race Cars. Happy Motoring!!

rml
TR6's.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |