fot

Pistons

To: "'Amici Triumphi'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pistons
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:49:03 -0500
Here it is again...the illusive substitute piston rumor. Not something I
want to do, but am curious about it.

Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 19:25:22 -0700
From: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Subject: Re: Use of non-Triumph pistons

>  Yesterday while taking my TR3 crank in for machining to the local engine
>rebuilding shop I mentioned to the owner the cost of the 87 mm pistons and
>liners I planned to install  (about $900 Canadian).  He asked me why I
>didn't use a non-Triumph piston instead. (which would be much cheaper !)
> He claims to have installed Ford racing pistons in his own MGB.  The wet
>liners would need boring out and the non-triumph piston's gudgeon pin bush
> would  need machining to match the original connecting rod.  Anyone else
>ever tried this?

Our local machine shop has used Buick pistons in TR-2-3-4 engines several
times.

So Long,

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
  email: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us
         http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~token/PAGE1.html
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)  Everyday
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk 2
1967 Spitfire Mk 3   In work, lots of 1500 stuff
Keeper of the TR-4 List, Version 2.0 availible.