fot

Bad case-o-shipwright's disease...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Bad case-o-shipwright's disease...
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 12:55:34 EDT
Fellow wrench wielders-

Well the GT6 has been coming along nicely- got it about 3/4 along, and then it
became time for "The Cage"....After much head scratchin and lots of ideas on
paper napkins, I finally tried a mock up with some carboard tubing.  It just
never comes out the way ya want it to ! So, I tore it all down again and
pulled the body off the frame. (Yes, fellow GT'ers, you not only can pull the
body easily, but you can do it all yourself.) The body now sits on a couple of
sawhorses (that part was a bit dicey all by myself) and the frame is now nice
and clean on the ground. (Bought one of those water hose and air line mixing
guns at Post Tool the other day called a Thunder  Guppy or some such thing. I
figured it would be better than my thumb over the garden hose at least. Turns
out it works a little better than I expected, but for $20 something bucks,
what do you expect. That and a little Castrol Purple Cleaner, and the thing
came clean pretty quick. Today I'm gonna try the bottom of the body and see if
it won't come clean as well.) (For all you concours types, it looks like
Triumph painted the frame black, then put a layer of body color paint over
that. But why did they put that nasty undercoating just on the last two feet
of the frame ? Didn't they think the diff would leak as much oil as the engine
?) Next step is to haul the frame down to the local welder and weld in some
gussetts and all the seams that Triumph didn't. Then a little snazzy grey
paint on it, and it's "hole saw" and "weldin" time at my local "Nascar" style
race car builder. Hopefully I can persuade him that this thing does not need a
complete Nascar style 300 pound cage in it...

Never one to leave it stock...
         Nick in Nor Cal