fot

Re: Trans advice needed

To: Irv Korey <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Trans advice needed
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 08:17:17 -0400
Irv Korey wrote:

> > From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
>
> > Uncle Jack, the word going around is that it's better to use decent old
> > synchros than the repro stuff. Evidently, the new ones don't last very
> long
> > in even street car use.
>
> When I re-did the gearbox for my 4, I ordered new syncros from TRF. They
> were so thin and flimsy compared to the old ones that I chose to re-use the
> old ones.
>
> Irv
fot list. re the synchros.  old synchros (original) can easily be made
"new" by laying them on a surface mill and thinning the flat side a few
thousandth of an inch.  this causes the syncro ring to go further onto
the hub, thus getting to the unused portion of the ring. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive