fot

Re: Trans advice needed

To: tedtsimx@bright.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trans advice needed
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 23:03:07 EDT
tedtsimx@mail.bright.net writes:

<< > Irv
 fot list. re the synchros.  old synchros (original) can easily be made
 "new" by laying them on a surface mill and thinning the flat side a few
 thousandth of an inch.  this causes the syncro ring to go further onto
 the hub, thus getting to the unused portion of the ring. ted
 --
 Ted Schumacher

<snip>
Interesting idea Ted, Thanks

 The TR6  factory manual , GB step 38:

Assy. each synchro cup on the respective gear and measure with feeler gauges
the clearance between the gear and cup.  Should the clearance be less that
0.030"
renew the cup.

That is what I have used for a long time.  Check at the base of the three
backside
prongs, as this is where cracks start under racing conditions.

Also be aware that in the 70's BL changed synchro mfgs. and the new
supplier's items wore out very quickly, so the went to another source
after some time. (I believe ZF)  i.e. NOS may be bad.

I do know that TRF has worked hard to try and find good synchros.

Regards                                    HP