fot

Post Mosport Inspection-Axle End Play

To: "'Amici Triumphi'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Post Mosport Inspection-Axle End Play
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:35:13 -0500
Help Fot!

Prior to Mosport, after the Fall Festival, a check of the axle end play
revealed that both axles were in a very slight pre-load condition. This is
the first time this condition has been observed. Addition of shims bought it
back to spec or slightly above, on a spec of .004-.006.

Following Mosport, the left axle shows no end play, again, and the right
side remained constant. What conditions can cause reduction of end play?

I can put more shims in, but I am concerned that I am moving in the
direction of a failure of some kind. The left hand side has moved enough
that it has moved the drum close enough to sides of the brake shoes to pick
up some scraping of material from the aluminum brake drums.

(Adding shims between the axle tube and the backing plate will not cure the
interference between the drum and shoes....something is clearly moving)

Conditions: Quaife Differential...Stock Axles....Billet Hubs

Anyone have any experience with this condition or have some suggestions on
what to look for?

Thanks,

Joe