fot

Re: Triumph engine and gearbox

To: DWhitesdJr@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Triumph engine and gearbox
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:39:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 DWhitesdJr@aol.com wrote:

> A decade ago I bought an ex-Team Lotus 1954 Lotus VIII sportsracer from an
> estate.  It has been undergoing a very slow restoration since.  The car was
> originally configured with a MG XPAG engine and MG TC gearbox and that is what
> is being used in the restoration.  When I got the car, it had a Triumph TR-2/3
> engine and gearbox.  The engine has a plate which says "Tuned by SAH
> Engineering".  Since this was a fairly sophisticated sportsracer, the Triumph
> engine and gearbox might be significant to you Triumph guys.  Is anyone
> interested in it or can anyone tell me what it is (other than a boat anchor)?

OOooh. SAH. Kool. Can you say David Vizard? I knew you could.

In the late 60's/ early 70's, David Vizard put out a book called
something like "Tuning your Triumph, 1300 and larger". He has all sorts
of nifty mods in there to make the engine go more betterer and suspension
stuff etc. SAH is referred to a lot in the book, they used to regrind
cams and that sort of thing.

So, you have a really interesting period piece. If it spins and is
rebuildable, it has to be good as a nostalgia piece if nothing else...

I'm not a TR3 guy, so I have no interest in the parts, but I'm sure
someone on this list must know about SAH - and be a TR3 person. If not,
I'll take it and use it to build an Ambro.

Where are you at? Alabama?

> Thanks,
> David Whiteside
> 205-320-0555

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |