fot

RE: adjustable upper TR-3/4 a arm brackets

To: "Will, Dale" <dwill@consrv.ca.gov>,
Subject: RE: adjustable upper TR-3/4 a arm brackets
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 18:03:41
At 02:40 PM 6/25/98 -0700, Will, Dale wrote:
>About two years ago there was a feature in a Brit mag about a TR-4 restored
>as a club project and it mentioned using some new fangled adjustable upper a
>arm brackets.  The camber on my 3a has always been a little fishy even after
>a frame shop messed with it.  Does anyone know anything about these
>adjustable brackets?

I don't know about any commercial ones, but I converted my A-arms
to adjustable heim jointed arms several years ago.  We did a similar
conversion to Chip Bond's car at the SCCA Runoffs last year.

Basically, you need to cut off the end of the arm where it attaches
to the frame braket and weld in a piece of internally threaded rod.
This fills the space in the U-shape of the channel that's left after
cutting off the end.  Then you just thread in the large heim joint
until the camber is correct.  You'll need to make up some spacers
since the heim joint (or rod end, as the 'mercan race shops will
know them as) is a bit narrower than the rubber bushing that it
replaces.  Of course, you'll want to be sure that the weld is done
correctly...

cheers,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu