fot

Another Weekend Recap (not tires, of course)

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Another Weekend Recap (not tires, of course)
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:07:35 -0400 (EDT)
Hey.

I went "Down East" last weekend to play car things with the Cumberland
Motor Club. New England Triumphs has a tie with these folks vis-a-vis VTR
'99, but you didn't hear it from me...

At any rate, they held an Autocross at the Augusta Civic center on sunny
Augusta, ME. The course was "interesting" - def. a power course.
Participants did three "laps" around a course that for all intents and
purposes was an oval with a "button hook" at one end, a very tight
hairpin at the other end and a slalom that was basiclaly a straight in
disguise.

All the mustang guys had to lift for the slalom... oh and we were on the
lower level of the Civic Center parking lot. But there was a 30 foot drop
off along the slalom side of the oval, so if you over cooked it and
didn't just "drop the pedals", then we're talking majorly balled up cars.

These Maine guys have quite a sense of "adventure". Wait - maybe it was
really a Rally Cross course... nevermind.

So the fastest time of the day was a Camaro - actually an SCCA GT1 Camaro
with a 4.3 Even-fire V6 - next fastest was a CSP Neon (sorry) then there was
one other car, although I can't recall what it was - but, the 4th fastest
car and winner of DSP was me!

So, CF14111U has returned from the dead and it still drives okay - even
with all that "new metal" in the back for the differential mounts. Time
will tell if Bob the Welder did a good job, but things are def. tighter
back there now that it's all welded up.

If you have friends with TR6's make sure that you talk 'em into "boxing"
the diff mounts.

Oh, so we were talking on this list about fuel economy a while back.
Well, I normally get around 17 MPG at 65 (no drafting). Well this
weekend, I must have been a bit more heavy footed than in the past. I say
this because I ran the car completely dry of fuel on I-95 after having
only driven about 160 miles... that means I got less that 15 MPG combined
highway (at 75 MPH and no O/D) and the autox. The up side is that the
_only gas station_ available to me after I ran the car dry, would not
lend me a gas can - so I had to buy it to get the gas to the car. Kool.
Talk about grabbing the short hairs. Sorry if this was offensive to
anyone. If so, let me know and I'll be even more offensive.... just kidding.

Triumph est Rex!

That is all.
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |