fot

RE: The Great TR-venture '98 Edition

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The Great TR-venture '98 Edition
From: "R.M. Bownes III" <bownes@emi.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:54:36 -0400
> It's time to plan again... sorry about the short notice.

this is short notice? Heck, doing this on the 14th would be short notice...

> I'm making the trek from Boston, MA to Hudson, WI by way of
> Elkhart Lake,
> WI for VTR and the Brian Redmond International Challenge at
> Road America.

We will be doing the same. We are putting the Formula Vee on a trailer
behind the Pathfinder (Can't find a light enough trailer to go behind the
TR6) If we can find a BIG trailer, we'll be bringing two vee's for BRIC.

> I'm just trying to see if there are any other Triumph folks
> out there in
> Cyber Space that are planning on a similar route...

Well, short of the Albany to Boston section, it should
be identical...Though we'd like to stick to the Thruway
since we'll be towing the race car.

> In short I-90 to I-43 and some I-94 in there somewhere over
> in Wisconsin.
> I'll actually try to do some scenic roads (for example I
> intend to avoid
> the NY State Thruway by means of taking US 20 from Albany-ish to
> somewhere this side of Scranton, NY... but this is def. not a scenic
> tour. I mean to get to Road America in 2 days from Boston...

Same here. Set off Tues, arrive Wed PM, stopping off
somewhere between Cleveland and Chicago.

> FWIW, I'll be in Hudson, WI the day before the VTR starts
> (Monday, July 20),
> so I could be available to "help out" if anyone needs hand
> doing whatever.

We will be there early as well, though we may stop in
Eau Claire to visit friends.

> however, I will warn everybody that I make many studid jokes
> over the CB
> in order to drown out or cut down on the bordom factor that
> one gets when
> driving the "interstate route".

I can attest to this....BTW, we've obtained some 'real'
radios for the convoy, 150Mhz business band VHF radios.
I'll put the CB in for road checks, but these are MUCH
clearer and have better distance capability.

> Andy M.? Bob B.?? Anyone else en route???

Our big question is are we bringing a triumph or not. If
we can scare up trailer space or another interested driver,
I'd like to bring the TR6 (or the Spit if it is ready, but
as I said earlier today that's not likely). But that will
depend on space/availability as well as the TR making at
least one long haul trip over the next few weeks.

iii