fot

Daimler SP250

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Daimler SP250
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:58:45 -0700
 A little race report. Took the TR3 up to the Sovern fourth of July bash
at Seattle International Raceway. Had a blast. My wife gave me a video
camera and mount as a raceday present, and it really added to the
enjoyment --I've watched the two races at least five times now.

The TR was running very nicely, though I was getting badly outdragged
down the straight by just about everything. I was on 70 series comp TAs,
because I expected to run in group 1, and instead got stuck in with the
group 2 historic cars--a 30 car grid which included a Devin SS (with a
mongo V8), a Porsche cooper (the infamous Pooper), a lister jag, one of
the Old Yallers, two TestaRossas, a 500 Mondial, the Monsterati, some
very fast Porsches and Healy 3000s, a 59 corvette fuelie, and yours
truly, trembling. If I'd only had those 60 series tires...

In the first race I got into a heated battle for 15th place between a
Healy, the Ferrari Mondial, and yrs trly.  I got by them both but the
Ferrari repassed me in the last lap. I could have gotten back by, but I
chickened out--something about rubbing my $10,000 car up against a
2megabuck icon.

In the second race, I tucked in behind the two testas and the Mondial,
the mondial spun in the second lap, right on my nose. Got by without
transferring any red paint, and chased the TRs.  They disappeared down
the straight and reappeared in the corners--something about drum brakes,
and cars worth the national debt of Chile. I had the loony guy in a
cheap car  with disk brakes factor on my side, and actually managed to
pass one and get to the door of the second in turn nine. Then we hit the
straight and they disappeared again, but, dammit, I passed 'em, however
briefly. Or one of 'em anyway. I'm giving myself a trophy.

Got it all on video tape too.

What fun. This has GOT to be illegal.

Bill Babcock,
Managing Partner