fot

vintage prep level

To: Malaboge@AOL.COM
Subject: vintage prep level
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 22:56:46 -0400
when we first started to service vintage races asa vendor,the prep level
was circa '72 scca national level. this was in 1988.  about '92 the
level jumped up to an early '80's national level and is now running
about 10 years or less behind a god scca national car.  since we sell
race parts (formely part of the BL USA Comp Dept) and ran a successful
national effort, we are pretty well tuned into the prep and prep level.
unforunately the prep level in many cases is not maintained at the same
level as the car has come to need with the increased modifications.  we
have all the competiton prep books ($4.95) but remember these were
written in the '67 - '75 time period and the parts criteria is well
beyond what was available at the time of these books.  for example, we
still produce the tubular alloy pushrods we made for BL and featured in
the manuals, but the roller rockers  we sell were not even around at the
time the book was written.  beware of high tech terms without the
rationale to justify the part.  examples of this could be urethane susp.
bushings. these are certainly a good product (we pour some excellent
urethane) but urethane has some compliance which is not needede in a
race bushing so you use delrin or nylatron. point is this, educate
yourself, know your skill level and what you do or do not want to do. a
spitfire is a good handling car but takes far more work and component
stress to make it powerful than a bigger engine car such as tr4 or other
2 liter size engine car.  good luck. let us know if we can help. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive