fot

Re: Engine Overheating

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Overheating
From: Patrick McMullen <pmcmull@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 16:29:13 -0700
Wow,

I was just reading about the very same thing about engine oil in coolant
passages.  It seems that Lycoming built an experimental radial engine
that was liquid cooled, 7770 cubic inches, 36 cylinders.  They too
experienced the overheating and attributed to ingress of lubricating oil
into the coolant passages.  But the turbine engine put that one in the
history books.  Too much, too late.
Water itself has a very high surface tension and when in contact with
motor oils this only compounds.  Preventing the optimum transfer of heat
from the cylinder walls to the coolant.  The surface tension of water
can be delt with by an additive, but not the engine oil.  I find it
fasinating that Mr. Richardson described the very thing I was just
reading about!
Sure would love to hear some more stories about those fabulous
Rolls-Royce engines and the great fighters they powered.  How about a
tech session at BRIC???  We aircraft mechanics love engine stories!!!
Joe, can you introduce me to Mr. Richardson at BRIC???

Can you buy me a beer??

Never hurts to ask.  :}

Pat in NC