fot

triumphs@play '98

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: triumphs@play '98
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:53:04 -0400 (EDT)
FOT,

As I sit here imagining driving 3 or 4 thousand miles in the next two
weeks...

THE NEXT TWO WEEKS - Darn! I have to start packing!

Had an interesting weekend - cleaned up the TR6 for a local show: Day of
Triumph '98. Put the car "in the show" first thing in the morning. Then I
headed off to an SCCA autocross in Ayer, MA. I was very hopeful that it
would be a good event - I was not dissapointed. Seeing that 'Six was in a
show, I managed to bribe a buddy into letting me drive his car. It was or
Teutonic origin - forgive me oh gods of Triumph.

But I managed to commit a cardinal sin! I had several really great runs in
a car I've never even sat in before, which is of course not a sin, but I
wound up beating the best time of the owner of the car. The sin in my
performance is that said owner is in a tight points race with the second
place guy (that I only missed beating by about 2 tenths...).

Whoops. Got a third in class and I'll bet my PAX was _really high_ Not
only that, but I did have one run (unfortunately "dirty" - and only barely
dirty at that) that was over a second better than the eventual class
winner. Got a lot of "thumbs up" when I was pulling off the course. As a
point of reference, the top three were seperated by about 3 tenths of a
second for a course that was about 57 seconds for the class winners. Oh,
and on that fast one - I had a minor spin. Quite a ride indeed.

Now I have to tune out the "quirks" in the TR6 because - the owner of the
"rent-a-ride" did not ask me to drive again and all the Honda guys told me
to not come back unless I have my TR6. ;-). Okay. Now I have to install
that locker and buy a new set of Hooooooooosiers. Cool.

So, anyway - as part of the Day of Triumph car show, I put together a
short video with about 30 minutes of "Triumphs at Play '98". In that
video - there's shots of a bunch of the FOT crowd from '97 - including
VTR '97 and the SCCA Runoffs. The cars all look and sound great.

Keep up the good work and keep that/those Triumph(s) running!

rml

p.s. and watch out for that guy with the camcorder lurking near the south
paddock this weekend at Road America.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |