fot

Re: Car In Barn Experience.

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Subject: Re: Car In Barn Experience.
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:30:37 -0400 ()
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Alexander Joseph H wrote:

> I am always trying to peer into the open doors of barns and garages...
> TR3A...in a barn on an acreage...1961 TS 61XXX L O and also features
> wire wheels and a factory hardtop. Of course it is truly awful looking,
> with the body seams puttied in, painted silver, and the interior
> trashed....right hand door was crushed by an errant snowmobile....

> Now what do I do? I do not want another project and it is not nice to
> purchase such a vehicle and then part it out. Things like wire wheels and
> overdrives are somewhat compelling. So is a cache of spare parts for the
> existing TR3A. $1300 was mentioned as a possible price in the event it
> became for sale.

Dear Fireball(?):

The fact that you posted this message to this list tells me that you are
somehow seeking approval to purchase and eventually fix up this car. Well,
you have MY approval. :-)

What is the rust status? I've seen many a TR over the years with the
"Bondo" fender-seam restyling that turned out to be either someone's idea
of "customizing" or simply an attempt to do a quick-and-dirty smoothout
without spending the vast sums of money required to replace dented or
missing beading. But if the Bondo is there for the more traditional (rust)
reason, then that makes a big difference, of course.

If, in fact, the car was originally built with the OD, hardtop and wire
wheels, that might add some value to the finished (restored) product. How
much? Who knows? But if the current (or restored) spec matched the BMIHT
build record, it might mean something to some folks.

I grant you that parting out such a beast is tempting, but I agree in that
I hate to see an "original" restorable car go that way nowadays. Besides,
such a car ostensibly bought for its desireable spares often ends up being
a recipient of donor parts from yet a third vehicle, not in and of itself
a donor! So, if you need a place to put it for a year or two, I'll gladly
make some space in the Heralds 'R' Us central warehouse facility here in
scenic upstate New York. Just give me a day or two.... ;-)

--Andy (helpful, ain't he?)