fot

Re: TR3 rear axels

To: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Subject: Re: TR3 rear axels
From: baxter Culver <102247.2323@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 00:54:52 -0400
I am curious,   what tires are you using with the axle/hub problems?
Some of the West Coast Vintage clubs, like Steve Earl, have become zealots
about NOT using modern  "sticky" tire compounds and widths.    Says they
are not in the proper spirit of vintage racing and they cause problems with
suspension, wheel, axle components.     I, for example, am not allowed to
use the Goodyear "Blue Streak" on the Peyote.   Only Dunlop  and now
Engleberts.     Both are more expensive than Goodyears and don't stick
quite as well--go away when hot, etc.

However, the tires used when these cars were new,   even in race trim, were
not nearly as sticky  as them that's available today.   So, I was just
wondering.   Is there anything to this Vintage proper tire stuff we've been
required to follow???