fot

RE: Mechanical Advance

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>,
Subject: RE: Mechanical Advance
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:49:53 -0700
I don't understand how you could get one 90 degrees out, but 180 is easy
to fix. The mallory comes pre-drilled for the driving dog, which is
offset to one side to preclude putting the distributor in wrong once
it's in place. All the goombah has to do is put the dog on
backwards--just like I did the first time I tried to install it. Knock
out the pin, turn the dog 180, put it back in.

You don't need a distributor machine to set up the basic timing
parameters, just a good timing light. There's a stop tab that sets the
range of advance. Set your static timing, then check the full advanced
reading with your timing light. Tweak the stop until you get the advance
range you need. If you have a timing light that allows you to preset the
advance and use the TDC mark for all timing, you can even do a pretty
good job graphing your advance curve using your tach and timing light.
Just read out the timing every 100 RPM (or 500 if your tach sucks)If you
don't have one of those type of light, drop everything and go get
one--worth their weight in gold and less than 100 bucks.