fot

Re: All fiberglass TR3 ????

To: dwill@consrv.ca.gov, AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com,
Subject: Re: All fiberglass TR3 ????
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:08:14 EST
In a message dated 11/2/98 3:34:03 PM Central Standard Time,
dwill@consrv.ca.gov writes:

<< Of course the TR-3S Le Mans cars were fiberglass.  There have been ongoing
 reports that one of those bodies survives somewhere in the UK.   Bill Piggot
 claims to have seen it.  I keep waiting for some photographs to appear on
 it.

While the TR3S LeMANS cars looked like TR3s, but they were quite different.

Obviously the Sabrina engine.  That's the first place to look, but their
footprint was different as well.  They were bigger (wider, and I think
longer).

Past that, whether for racing or replacement, LOTS of fiberglass parts were
available as replacement parts for TR3s.  What really makes this unit sound
interesting is the fact that I understand the apron, bonnet and fenders open
like a Spitfire.  While that could be something someone did on their own from
component pieces, my own experience with the Tornado T-Bolt and Talisman tells
me that would be pretty ambitious.  But if it was molded in one piece, well
that sure would be interesting.  And I have never seen a fiberglass TR3
bucket.

I would like to see that one.

I am also interested to know if it is has a Triumph TR3 frame under it.

Bill Dentinger

PS

If that rusted out frame is a TR3 frame, well that's replaceable.  They are
still out there.  But if a custom frame must be duplicated and built from
scratch, well unless you are very talented, that can cost a bundle.  You can't
justify it...unless its a TR3S.

Also, get an expert to evaluate the status of the body.  SOME FIBERGLASS
PROBLEMS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX.