fot

Re: Black TR's, was TR3 Serial number question.

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: Black TR's, was TR3 Serial number question.
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:24:56 -0500 (EST)
> At 08:08 AM 11/19/98 -0500, R. John Lye wrote:
>
> >...one of the guys (who has stripped quite a few Triumphs)
> >mentioned that he thought many Triumphs got a coat of white paint
> >before their "real" body color.  Quite a few of us had seen a layer
> >of white paint over the primer and under the body color....

My own experience with later TR3As is that the only visible primer is the
"red oxide" primer. It was there right under the white on TS73624L when
that got stripped, and it's visible in a few spots directly under the
original green paint (what's left of it) on TS71909L -- notably on some
edges of the bonnet where it had been polished one too many times.

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Henry Frye wrote:

> I guess since I have a TR3B that came sporting black paint from Conventry,
> and there are still a few spots of the original black, I need to go do a
> little scraping. I can't imagine using a white primer on a black car.

I'm home today, so I just ran out to look at my poor hulk of a black
TR3B. It's difficult to find much of anything on this car except the
original black and a lot of rust. If there's anything under the black, I
think it's red primer. BTW, the original paint is REALLY thin on this
car, at least on the inner front fenders! :-)

> On a side note, I have the BMIHT build certificate on this car. It was
> built on September 7, 1962. Guess what? That was a Friday!
>
> Way to go John Mac!

I don't dispute my friend John regarding "normal" line production of
Triumphs. However, the "Rule of Black" apparently was not a hard and fast
rule at Forward Radiator's assembly facility. My Black TR3B was built on
Tuesday, August 21, 1962. But then, I assume this was a dedicated
"production" line, and there were only about five colors normally offered
on the 3Bs anyway, right? Signal Red, Black, Green, White and Powder Blue?

--Andy