fot

Black TR's, was TR3 Serial number question.

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Black TR's, was TR3 Serial number question.
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:45:34 -0500
At 08:08 AM 11/19/98 -0500, R. John Lye wrote:

snip

>Its funny that you should ask this today, as several of us were discussing
>this over beers the other night.  It started by someone mentioning
>John Mac's post that black cars were all painted on Fridays, so that
>the paint lines could be cleaned and purged over the weekend.  Along
>with that, one of the guys (who has stripped quite a few Triumphs)
>mentioned that he thought many Triumphs got a coat of white paint
>before their "real" body color.  Quite a few of us had seen a layer
>of white paint over the primer and under the body color.  No-one really
>knew why this was so (maybe John Mac can help out here) but one thought
>was that if the factory didn't have an order for a specific color, and/or
>was going to store the body shell for any length of time, then the body got
>a coat of white paint to protect it, then was painted the proper color when
>it came onto the assembly line.
>
>cheers,
>
>John Lye
>rjl6n@Virginia.edu

I guess since I have a TR3B that came sporting black paint from Conventry,
and there are still a few spots of the original black, I need to go do a
little scraping. I can't imagine using a white primer on a black car.

On a side note, I have the BMIHT build certificate on this car. It was
built on September 7, 1962. Guess what? That was a Friday!

Way to go John Mac!
 Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net - Connecticut, USA
 TR3B   TCF1927 L       Driver
 TR250  CD690 L         Soon to be Driver
 TR250  CD8096 L        Someday Driver
 TR250  CD1074 L        For Sale (soon!)

 Homepage         http://members.iconn.net/thefryes/