fot

RE: I couldn't make this stuff up...

To: Malaboge@AOL.COM, shop-talk@autox.team.net, TVR@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: I couldn't make this stuff up...
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:18:14 -0800
Trust me, it could be worse. I have elk coming through my yard. I always
wondered what would happen if one wandered into my shop and got scared.
1200 pounds of berserk, antlered behemoth.

A good friend of mine supplanted his meager college allowance by
poaching deer with his three housemates when he was a student long ago
in Eastern Oregon. They would go out into the Wallowa mountains in a car
and shoot the first deer they came to, which happens pretty quickly in
eastern Oregon if you don't care whether or not the deer is legal. Then
they'd stuff it quickly into the trunk, guts, feathers and all, and
carry it to their garage to butcher their ill gotten venison. One night
these miscreants were headed back from a successful evening hunt when a
good sized doe came to in the trunk. Seems they had just grazed her head
and knocked her out.

So they backed the car into the garage, closed the door so the deer
couldn't get out, and opened the trunk, expecting to dispatch the doe.
The doe had other ideas, and pretty much ran them over numerous times
and trashed the garage while three of them tried to tackle it and the
goofier of the four tried to shoot it. The single shot managed to hit my
friend's relatively new outboard motor and inspired a neighbor to call
the police.   The doe got away (they opened the door after the shot,
correctly assuming that the police might respond to gunfire in downtown
LaGrand).