fot

New Member Thanks You

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Subject: New Member Thanks You
From: "Steve Benford Jr." <sbracing@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:16:03 -0600
--------------DA38633F2796EC9B45FFDC53

Dear Friends of  Triumph :

I am honestly overwhelmed with all your generosity.  Thank you Joe.  To be
included in this group is quite an honor.  Let me tell you why.

Joe gave you a bit of info about myself but let me give a bit more and why I
want to race a TR4.  I am 41 years old and have been around sports cars and
racing for about the last 40 years.  I spent many an early year in the back of
TR3s & 4s, Morgans and various other UK and German toys that my Father owned.

My Father owned a TR3 in 1959/60 and was a salesman for 3M in Washington D.C.
where he met another Triumph owner - Mr. Robert C. Tullius.  They became close
friends and remained so until my fathers death this past spring.  Bob and John
McComb both attended his funeral.  So I grew up watching Group 44 grow from a
single car to the GTP great white wave.

My Father went to SCCA drivers school at Marlboro in a Spitfire and soon learned
that he could not drive ( Sorry Dad ).  So he started announcing the races at
Marlboro as well Cumberland, Vineland, Watkins Glen and others.  He was
announcing for HSR at Sebring in '97 & '98.  He did get the chance to meet Jack
Drews.

I raced karts in high school and college, did a bit of autocross after college
and have raced Vees off and on the last eight years.  The vee was a great and
less expensive way to go wheel to wheel.  It is hard to drive a vee well and I
know the seat time will carry over.  Going into turn 1 at Road America three
abreast is BIG FUN!  So here it is 1999 and I need a new race car.  The 1970
Zink C4 is just not competitive and it is time to move on to a newer vee or
something else.  After much thought and a October conversation at Blackhawk with
Joe Alexander and Jack Drews  - I chose something else.

I am planning to prep the car in early Group 44 fashion.  White body, black
numbers ( yes the 44 on the back will be reversed until T&S moans about ),
"Group 44" in script at the top of rear fenders and the drivers name in script
at the top of the front fenders, black alloy wheels, clean and pristine.  Did I
mention Fast?  Year 2000 and you name the track -  Joe, Jack, Irv, myself and
other FOTers on the false grid - keep that thought in mind race fans.

Hope I did not bore you.  I look forward to conversing and meeting who ever I
can in the future.  For those who have E-mailed me previously I will try to
return it ASAP.  I am planning to attend the Mid-Ohio TR-MG challenge race in
June, the Redman Vintage at RA in July and maybe some events at Blackhawk.

Thumbs Up - Steve Benford, Jr.

--------------DA38633F2796EC9B45FFDC53

<HTML>
Dear Friends of&nbsp; Triumph :

<P>I am honestly overwhelmed with all your generosity.&nbsp; Thank you
Joe.&nbsp; To be included in this group is quite an honor.&nbsp; Let me
tell you why.

<P>Joe gave you a bit of info about myself but let me give a bit more and
why I want to race a TR4.&nbsp; I am 41 years old and have been around
sports cars and racing for about the last 40 years.&nbsp; I spent many
an early year in the back of&nbsp; TR3s &amp; 4s, Morgans and various other
UK and German toys that my Father owned.

<P>My Father owned a TR3 in 1959/60 and was a salesman for 3M in Washington
D.C. where he met another Triumph owner - Mr. Robert C. Tullius.&nbsp;
They became close friends and remained so until my fathers death this past
spring.&nbsp; Bob and John McComb both attended his funeral.&nbsp; So I
grew up watching Group 44 grow from a single car to the GTP great white
wave.

<P>My Father went to SCCA drivers school at Marlboro in a Spitfire and
soon learned that he could not drive ( Sorry Dad ).&nbsp; So he started
announcing the races at Marlboro as well Cumberland, Vineland, Watkins
Glen and others.&nbsp; He was announcing for HSR at Sebring in '97 &amp;
'98.&nbsp; He did get the chance to meet Jack Drews.

<P>I raced karts in high school and college, did a bit of autocross after
college and have raced Vees off and on the last eight years.&nbsp; The
vee was a great and less expensive way to go wheel to wheel.&nbsp; It is
hard to drive a vee well and I know the seat time will carry over.&nbsp;
Going into turn 1 at Road America three abreast is BIG FUN!&nbsp; So here
it is 1999 and I <U>need</U> a new race car.&nbsp; The 1970 Zink C4 is
just not competitive and it is time to move on to a newer vee or something
else.&nbsp; After much thought and a October conversation at Blackhawk
with Joe Alexander and Jack Drews&nbsp; - I chose something else.

<P>I am planning to prep the car in early Group 44 fashion.&nbsp; White
body, black numbers ( yes the 44 on the back will be reversed until T&amp;S
moans about ), "Group 44" in script at the top of rear fenders and the
drivers name in script at the top of the front fenders, black alloy wheels,
clean and pristine.&nbsp; Did I mention Fast?&nbsp; Year 2000 and you name
the track -&nbsp; Joe, Jack, Irv, myself and other FOTers on the false
grid - keep that thought in mind race fans.

<P>Hope I did not bore you.&nbsp; I look forward to conversing and meeting
who ever I can in the future.&nbsp; For those who have E-mailed me previously
I will try to return it ASAP.&nbsp; I am planning to attend the Mid-Ohio
TR-MG challenge race in June, the Redman Vintage at RA in July and maybe
some events at Blackhawk.&nbsp;

<P>Thumbs Up - Steve Benford, Jr.</HTML>

--------------DA38633F2796EC9B45FFDC53--