fot

an opportunity for someone

To: fot@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: an opportunity for someone
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:14:19 -0800
Thanks to all who answered my query about supercharging a TR6. Here's
the back story.

I got a phone call late last week from a guy who works with a guy who's
just had a TR6 restored. (This is all a message on my machine). It had
been sitting for a long time, so they skimmed the head, did a 3-angle
valve job, matched the ports. The guy doing the work put in a 3/4 race
cam and stronger springs ... but it still runs like a dog. The owner
had heard about a shop that could install a supercharger and fuel
injection - could I do that?  The owner has a Stillen mustang and would
like to have his TR6 be similarly thrilling, or some such. The car is
in Nevada, they'd be happy to ship it to me in Palo Alto if I can do
the work.

I called this morning. The owner seems to have more money than
knowledge - he wants to throw money and the problem and make it all
better. He's spent $12K on the restoraion and head work, $5K on the
interior. I start asking some questions ...  it's a '76, and it still
has the stock carbs and exhaust, and all the emissions gear. No wonder
it's a dog!

If my shop wasn't a new slab and a pile of lumber, I'd be interested
(well, if I wasn't also working 70 hours/week at my "day job"). I
started rattling off ideas of where to get parts, but it's clear they
just want someone to do the work.

The low compression engine is probably a good candidate for forced
induction. The kit that has been mentioned here might be adapted to FI
with an SU throttle body from TWM.

They'd like to find a shop to do the work. He said "he'd be happy to
spend another $5K to make it run right" ... anyway, anyone here
interested in taking it on, or care to make a recommendation of where
to get the work done? He'd probably be happiest with a race shop;
there's also talk of getting the suspension done...

Ken G. are you out there? Is this sort of thing up your alley?