fot

Re: TR-6 compressor mod

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-6 compressor mod
From: "Janice/Matt Matthews" <matthews-home@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:11:33 -0600
My current understanding of compression ratios suggests that this high a
ratio may not be the problem it is normally assumed to be, depending on the
cam timing. Static compression ratios are calculated from bottom  to top
dead center. However, there is also a "theoretical" dynamic compression
ratio, calculated from the timing of the opening of the intake valve to top
dead center, solved graphically using the correct rod length and throw.
This will of course give you a lower number, that is generally not quoted,
and rarely talked about. In one of his books Vizard quotes a cam designers
rule of thumb that most street engines have dynamic ratios of about 8.5,
while racing engines generally run about 9.0 and therefore require racing
fuels. It has also been said that most engine failures are associated with
to high a dynamic compression ratio. This theoretical compression ratio
does not include corrections for intake tuning effects and overfilling.