fot

RE: What the heck am I Doing???

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: RE: What the heck am I Doing???
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:37:31 -0800
This all has nothing to do with sanity. You've simply been trapped by
basic thermodynamics. The natural tendency of the universe is that order
descends to randomness. It's entropy, pure and simple.

There is a simple truth--that the greatest pleasure is in starting a
project. When you first tear into it, pull stuff apart, put everything
into dozens of poorly labeled boxes. You are in tune with the universe,
turning that ordered thing into random parts. It's easy,  you're
coasting downhill.

That's the fun part.

Then comes the part when you have to flog yourself to complete what you
started. You're fighting the basic forces of the universe. Turning
disorder to order. it's hard, no fun, it's all uphill. And you know, as
soon as you finish, the universe is going to start working to screw up
all the work you did.

That explains my garage:
Vincent waiting for a few more parts, a tune up, and some final
assembly.
Goldstar with the front end disassembled, waiting for powdercoating.
Clutch assembly apart, waiting for one more big whitworth nut.
TR3 up on jackstands, waiting for longer wheel studs and new spacer
plates.
Corvette with intake manifolds off, waiting for me to care.
Maserati needing everything.
And a motley set of other half-completed bike projects.

I figure in order to complete them all, I will have to live to 103