fot

Re: Rev Poll

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rev Poll
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:45:07 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BE4AC4.6A64F800

For years, actually almost from the time when I first bought my car in =
1965,
I used a rev limit of 6800 rpm which I arrived at by doing some =
corrected
piston speed, inertia calculations based on a formula in a book on =
Sports
Car Engines by Phillip H. Smith, a well known English author of the 60s.
Using stock rods, Hepolite pistons,  both Su and Weber carbs, Kastner =
"D"
and "F" cams and a basically stock crank with a lightened ( 18 lbs..) =
stock
flywheel and a C/R from 11:1 to 12 1/2:1, I went through 3 cranks like
clockwork at 7,000 miles intervals.  I would put an engine together, it
would be nice and smooth, no vibrations at all from 1,000 to 6800 rpm .
Then at 7000 miles, this was hard street driving, autocrossing, drag =
racing,
and some street"drag racing," a vibration would appear at about 2800 to =
2900
rpm.  When this would happen it was a very obvious change in the engine.
There was no doubt that something had changed.  So I would pull the pan, =
the
#4 rod cap and inspect the rear radius of the #4 crank throw.   sure =
enough
there would be a crack beginning there.  Just a small hairline, but it =
was
visible non the less.  I would pull the engine and the crank and have =
the
crank magnafluxed just to be sure.  But the answer was always the same.
A crack it was.  I tried shot peening , it did not help, no difference =
in
crank life at all.   The rods always passed mag, and as I went through
various different stages of tune, I eventually lightened the rods from =
the
original 2 lbs.. each to  1 1/2 lbs.. each, most of the material being =
removed
from the big ends.  The pistons were also lightened as were the pins.
    Finally I found a crank preparer who suggested welding up the rear
radius of the #4 journal where the cracks always appeared so a larger
radius could be ground so as to spread the area where the loads were
concentrating over a larger area.  The crank was stress relieved and d
DEEP CASE nitrided.
THIS CRANK WAS IN MY ENGINE OVER A PERIOD OF 10 years, 30,000 MILES AND =
3O
ODD VINTAGE RACE EVENTS.  It was in my engine when a rod broke at 6000 =
rpm
at Sears Point.  Fortunately it was not damaged in the ensuing blow up.  =
That
crank is still good and it going to go back into my engine when it  I go
through it again.   In many customer engines that we have built over the
last 20 years, I have never seen a deep case nitrided crank crack or =
break
if the engines were kept under 6800 rpm.
I HAVE SEEN 2 ENGINES BREAK STOCK, RACE PREPARED CONNECTING RODS.  In =
both
cases the engines were being reved over 6,000 rpm.
          My conclusion is that if you have a well built properly =
clearanced
bottom end with a deep case nitrided crank and stock rods, the safe rev
limit is 6, 000 rpm.
        With good quality forged steel con rods(carillo,  crower, etc.) =
the
safe rev limit is 7,000 rpm.
        By the way, maybe if there is a metallurgist out there he can =
address
this,  I would   NOT recommend "shot peening" stock rods.  I believe =
that
shot peening a stock British rod of EN 16 steel, which is what TR-4 rods =
are
made of, "work hardens" the surface skin of the rod and makes it so that =
the
surface cannot stretch or flex.  At high rpm the inertia loads on the =
rod
are such that the core of the rod is not strong or hard enough to =
prevent
the rod stretching.  So it stretches and the hard outer skin cracks! =
Then
the rod breaks.  Shot peening may work to strengthen stock rods, but =
only if they are first heat treated to the appropriate hardness.  Maybe =
something like Rockwell C scale  35 or so. This is just a guess on my =
part.=20
        By the way,  I have never run any kind of a damper.  I do now =
run an aluminum  alloy flywheel which weights about  12 lbs. with a =
stock ring gear on it.=20