fot

Re: GT6 suspension uprights

To: Gt6steve@AOL.COM, sbarr@mccarty-law.com
Subject: Re: GT6 suspension uprights
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:13:01 -0700 (MST)
Sounds like you two aren't on the same page of the parts book.  Scott's
"upright" seems to be the stamped steel shock tower that bolts to the frame,
to which the spring, shock and upper A arms attach.  Steve's "upright" is the
part of the suspension with the trunnion at the bottom and the ball joint at
the top, to which the hub and brake caliper attach.

In any case, both items that deserve routine checks for cracks.

On another note, pulled the motor and gearbox out of the Killer Spit
yesterday.  Finally got to investigate the clutch problems.  As those of you
at VTR in Hudson may recall, we were having troubles with the clutch, with
symptoms similar to having an air bubble in the hydraulics.  The hydraulics
were fine, and the remote bleeder pipe makes checking that pretty easy now.
The problem was with the pressure plate.  On the stock 1500 style clutch
cover, there are three places where the pressure plate attaches to the
diaphragm spring with a bolt and clamp arrangement.  On Killer's clutch, one
bolt was tight, one was ready to fall out, and one was bits of battered metal
scattered through the bellhousing.  So basically for the last half of the
season we were only lifting at most half the pressure plate when stepping on
the clutch.  Cute.

The clutch should work better when the car makes its next appearence.  Should
have an alloy flywheel, new clutch cover, different gearbox and an alloy
bellhousing.  The parts we plan to install should end up saving us on the
order of 40 pounds.  Gee, I wonder if losing 8 pounds or so off the flywheel
will make any difference in the way the car behaves, other than the dead
weight savings?

mjb.