fot

Uh oh...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Uh oh...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:29:00 -0600 (MDT)
The demise of the Tooele track is certainly unfortunate.  So it goes.
Someday there will be real road racing in Utah.  You know, it was
nearly a quarter of a century ago that I flagged for an SCCA regional
out at the last event held at the Bonneville Raceway.  I bought my
first Triumph the following day, after watching "Weird Herald" doing
laps around the course.

Bonneville Raceway was the name of the race track and drag strip
complex just on the west side of town, not to be confused with the
Bonneville Speedway, a name given to a certain patch of salt out near
Wendover.  Which is what I've been thinking about for the last few
days.  You may recall a while back I had talked some about doing a
Triumph land speed car of some sort.  While checking out www.saltflats.com,
the home page of the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association, I started thinking
about it a bit more seriously, especially after reading the rules for the
130 mph club.  And with no race track events in the near future, I may decide
to not work on getting Plut's production racer later this season, but turn
my attention in another direction.

I was thinking about a GT6, seeing as I would probably be more comfortable
in a closed car rather than brave a Spitfire at 100+.  Then I got to
thinking about this blue TR7 coupe sitting out front of the shop, and
the pile of performance bits for it stashed inside....

mjb.