fot

New old racecar

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>, "'Vintage Race'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: New old racecar
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:31:37 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BE8919.ACCF3140

While it may not be the smartest thing I've ever done, I just traded a =
solid, non-running Texas (98% rust free) TR6 for an old, rusted out TR4A =
racecar from the Texas Louisiana border. The documentation with the car =
is pretty sketchy, a handful of period pictures, a letter from the =
original owner, one Bob Stewart from Baton Rouge, and a notebook 7 pages =
of notes where-in the most recent PO talked to some of the other PO's at =
the end of 1988. There are some interesting details listed, and I hope =
that the racing parts listed are actually still inside! Bob Stewart =
lists 165HP, steel crank, Carrillo rods and Mercedes axles. He was a TR =
dealer in Baton Rouge, and owned the car from 1965 to 1972 or so. An =
interim owner is deceased so there is no info from  1972 until 1974.

Another owner, an Earl Millard, who owned the car from 74 to 77,  talks =
about the Carillos and a compression ratio of 13.5 to 1, SFD Dallas =
built carbs?, a head with "no combustion chamber, has notch for spark =
plug hole", 328 LB valve springs, radical cam. He said the OD has =
straight cut, close ratio gears and a thick core radiator from a =
Corvette (this I can verify, it's out in the open). Something about it =
being  a 200+ HP motor is noted. Mr.. Millard says the car had a log =
book during his ownership, but it has been lost.

Next comes C.J. Dupont. He never touched the motor, used a Ray Mundt =
from Baton Rouge to tune it. He may still have some video of the car and =
some more pictures (I wonder if I'll be able to track down any of these =
people after another 10 years has gone by). The PO went to some lengths =
to document his efforts to locate a log book, and attempt to get the =
SCCA to issue a new one for the car using the Log Book # stamped on the =
roll bar (# 60-012 Central Louisiana Region SCCA-now defunct). He began =
dis-assembly with the intent to go racing in early 1989, and as so often =
happened, the project languished, then it rusted. My hope is that I'll =
find out how one gets 13.5-1 compression ratio out of what looks like a =
stock thickness head, that I'll get to send off some Carillos and a =
racing crank to the machine shop, and learn something about the custom =
axles ,but I also recognize that these parts may be long gone. The roll =
structure is pretty neat, but not tall enough for anyone over 5' 6" and =
I'm 6' 1", but it will be a good pattern for the Devin.=20

Oh yeah, the real reason for buying this car is to use these parts in =
the Devin project. But before I give up on this rusty TR4A, I want to =
find out if it's worth recreating. It has some history, although it will =
take some digging to prove it. Bob Stewart says he won the SE Division =
in '66 or '67, so there must be some record of that, and I do have an =
almost (98%) rust free TR4A roller. It once had a 289 in it, but it's =
lack of battery tray could be repaired with parts off of the rust =
bucket, and the history on this car includes some pictures of a wreck =
which necessitated a body transplant. Bob's Stewarts driver was a Dick =
Prestridge, and the track was here in Austin, Austin Raceway Park in =
1966. Another body could only be considered period authentic.

Has anyone ever heard of any of these people or have any comments. I'm =
in the just brought it home/trying to absorb what I've done mode. Be =
gentle!

Bob Kramer
rgk@flash.net

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BE8919.ACCF3140

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>While it may not be the smartest =
thing I've ever=20
done, I just traded a solid, non-running Texas (98% rust free) TR6 for =
an old,=20
rusted out TR4A racecar from the Texas Louisiana border. The =
documentation with=20
the car is pretty sketchy, a handful of period pictures, a letter from =
the=20
original owner, one Bob Stewart from Baton Rouge, and a notebook 7 pages =
of=20
notes where-in the most recent PO talked to some of the other PO's at =
the end of=20
1988. There are some interesting details listed, and I hope that the =
racing=20
parts listed are actually still inside! Bob Stewart lists 165HP, steel =
crank,=20
Carrillo rods and Mercedes axles. He was a TR dealer in Baton Rouge, and =
owned=20
the car from 1965 to 1972 or so. An interim owner is deceased so there =
is no=20
info from&nbsp; 1972 until 1974.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Another owner, an Earl Millard, who =
owned the=20
car from 74 to 77,&nbsp; talks about the Carillos and a compression =
ratio of=20
13.5 to 1, SFD Dallas built carbs?, a head with &quot;no combustion =
chamber, has=20
notch for spark plug hole&quot;, 328 LB valve springs, radical cam. He =
said the=20
OD has straight cut, close ratio gears and a thick core radiator from a =
Corvette=20
(this I can verify, it's out in the open). Something about it =
being&nbsp; a 200+=20
HP motor is noted. Mr.. Millard says the car had a log book during his=20
ownership, but it has been lost.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Next comes C.J. Dupont. He never =
touched the=20
motor, used a Ray Mundt from Baton Rouge to tune it. He may still have =
some=20
video of the car and some more pictures (I wonder if I'll be able to =
track down=20
any of these people after another 10 years has gone by). The PO went to =
some=20
lengths to document his efforts to locate a log book, and attempt to get =
the=20
SCCA to issue a new one for the car using the Log Book # stamped on the =
roll bar=20
(# 60-012 Central Louisiana Region SCCA-now defunct). He began =
dis-assembly with=20
the intent to go racing in early 1989, and as so often happened, the =
project=20
languished, then it rusted. My hope is that I'll find out how one gets =
13.5-1=20
compression ratio out of what looks like a stock thickness head, that =
I'll get=20
to send off some Carillos and a racing crank to the machine shop, and =
learn=20
something about the custom axles ,but I also recognize that these parts =
may be=20
long gone. The roll structure is pretty neat, but not tall enough for =
anyone=20
over 5' 6&quot; and I'm 6' 1&quot;</FONT>, <FONT size=3D2>but it will be =
a good=20
pattern for the Devin. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Oh yeah, the real reason for buying this car is to =
use these=20
parts in the Devin project. But before I give up on this rusty TR4A, I =
want to=20
find out if it's worth recreating. It has some history, although it will =
take=20
some digging to prove it. Bob Stewart says he won the SE Division in '66 =
or '67,=20
so there must be some record of that, and </FONT><FONT size=3D2>I do =
have an=20
almost (98%) rust free TR4A roller. It once had a 289 in it, but it's =
lack of=20
battery tray could be repaired with parts off of the rust bucket, and =
the=20
history on this car includes some pictures of a wreck which necessitated =
a body=20
transplant. Bob's Stewarts driver was a Dick Prestridge, and the track =
was here=20
in Austin, Austin Raceway Park in 1966. Another body could only be =
considered=20
period authentic.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Has anyone ever heard of any of these people or have =
any=20
comments. I'm in the just brought it home/trying to absorb what I've =
done mode.=20
Be gentle!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bob Kramer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A =
href=3D"mailto:rgk@flash.net";>rgk@flash.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01BE8919.ACCF3140--