fot

Re: The Quest - History of TR2 Longdoor Race Car

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Quest - History of TR2 Longdoor Race Car
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:43:26 -0400
At 07:11 AM 4/29/99 -0500, Jack Wheeler wrote:
>Second, I was interested in your approach to getting information about old
>SCCA race cars.  I have a similar mission.

As do I - I've been trying to gather information on my TR-4 for a while.

>According to Jerry, when he raced CT311 in the
>60's, SCCA did not require log books.

My understanding is that SCCA log books did not come in to existance
until about 1972 (coincidentally, that's when the log book for the
Lotus Elan that Chip Bond and I are slowly restoring starts).  My
TR-4 still has its RMVR log book, but no SCCA log book.

>I have thought about contacting the
>SCCA office in Denver to see if they would have any history on this car.

There apparently is someone there who will help, but I've had no
luck getting much information from them.

Anyway, here's the story on my car - if this jogs anyone's memory,
I'd love to know more.  I bought the car in Denver from Dean Teasdale,
who bought it from Pat Lyke of South Dakota (but who raced it with
Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing - which was where and when I first saw
it).  Pat apparently bought it from a guy named Woody Adams of the
Denver area, but I have not talked with him.  That takes us back to
about the late 70's.  When Dean bought the car, Pat told him that
it had been a race car all its life; it was delivered right off the
boat to a race shop in California and was raced by a well known
California racer up and down the West coast, and fairly successfully.
This would fit with the BMHIT build sheet that I got for the car
which states that the car was originally delivered to San Francisco
(and interestingly, does not list a dealer unlike the other two build
sheets that I've gotten).  The build sheet lists the car as having
originally been red, so it has probably always been raced in red.
There is another clue/mystery, the roll bar is stamped with the number
UR023, which is not an SCCA number (those numbers always start with the
home region number).  I have been told, but have not been able to
verify, that in the 60's there were several non-SCCA clubs that ran
road race series, especially in the west.  Someone once told me that
the "R" in the roll bar number meant "regional" but that's not part
of the SCCA numbering scheme; maybe its from one of these non-SCCA
clubs.  My guess is that my TR-4 probably ran in one of those non-SCCA
race club's race series in California.
Anyway, if any of this sounds familar to any of you, I'd love to be
able to fill in part of that almost 20 year gap.

thanks,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu