fot

TR4A saga

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A saga
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 22:39:07 -0500
Just in case anyone is wondering, and because I feel the need to tell
someone who actually cares and knows what I'm talking about (my wife, my
kids, and even my dogs just nod there heads at me), here's what I found
inside the engine today. I was disappointed at not getting the close ratio
gears, but happily, there is a set of Carillo (or at least Carillo style)
rods. The crank looks normal (as in a casting), but has TR6 size flywheel
bolts. I have only dealt with the TR3 cranks, were they upgraded to heavier
studs for the TR4, or does this indicate some special treatment? The liners
and pistons are near perfect, and the camshaft looks good  too. The pistons
look new, but I can't tell what brand they are because I'll have to buy a
new socket for the ARP style rod bolts. The head surprised me, and again I
have to wonder if its TR4 Vs TR3. The head is very thick on the spark plug
side as opposed to my shaved TR3 head, but is actually thinner. The TR3 head
is 3 6/16" while the TR4A is 3 3/16". There is no remaining evidence of the
shrouded valve, no grind marks, nothing. In fact one of the chambers is a
little off from square when compared to the others. The PO told me that the
head was made from a special casting without a combustion chamber, could
this true, or did the TR4A get an improved head, which in this case was
skimmed past the shroud? In any case, its a ported and polished high
compression head and looks to be in great shape. So all in all, I guess I'm
lucky after all. That TR6 trade was looking worse every day, but not any
more.

Bob Kramer
Hill Country Triumph Club
Corinthians Vintage  Auto Racing Club