fot

Re: Small, small world

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Small, small world
From: "Roger Beasley" <beeline@iline.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:05:20 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_01BE9E1B.2EFD2440

Susan and Amici,

In December, our SCCA region had its annual awards banquet here in Fort
Myers, Fl.
Bob Tullius was the featured speaker and was gracious enough to autograph a
picture of my TR-4 that I now hang proudly in my office.

According to my friend who was program chairman, it was difficult to
convince Bob that anyone would be interested in what he had to say.  Boy
was he wrong!  Autoweek had just run an article about his TR-8 that won
some Trans-Am races before being legislated out of the series (apparently
at the urging of the US manufacturers).  He was able to expand on that
story as well as let us know how big a part on of our regional
member/drivers, Ed Diehl played in his career.

I also got to discuss with him a car I once owned that had been built by
Brian Ferstineau? while he was still in the military in Hawaii.  All in
all, Bob was very charming and seemed genuinely surprised at the rapt
attention the audience paid to his stories.

He now lives in Sebring and can occasionally be seen buzzing the track on
race weekends in his P-51 Mustang warbird that he keeps in a hanger there
on the old airport.
 Roger Beasley
Cape Coral, Fl
----------
> From: Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
> To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>; Spitfire List
<spitfires@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Small, small world
> Date: Friday, May 14, 1999 2:33 PM
>
> Hi all!
>
> Just wanted to pass along some funny information -- last night I was in
> downtown Dallas at the Jazz Under the Stars weekly free concert on the
> lawn of the Dallas Museum of Art.  The weather was PERFECT and the jazz
> was good.  We met some friends there, and they had some other friends of
> theirs show up.  After talking to one of them for a while, I found out
> he was good friends with Bob Tullius, of Group 44 racing fame!  He
> apparently built the 18-wheeler Quaker State rig Bob hauled some of his
> cars around with, and had some other participation as well.
>
> He told me about the "Halloween Holocaust" rallye up in the northeast
> (anyone out there participate in these?) that was outlawed in 1966 but
> finally ended in 1970.  He told me some tales about the less-than-legal
> escapades of the upwards-of-100 rallyists...  One of the points of the
> rallye was that each car club would man a checkpoint, and have the
> rallyists do something at that checkpoint before they could go on.  My
> favorite was having to cook breakfast by the next checkpoint -- eggs in
> radiators, bacon on manifolds, all sorts of hysterical doings.
>
> He said my questioning made him wonder what Bob was up to, and that he
> would try to get in touch with him.  I asked if he thought Bob would
> have any problems if I contacted him for some information (if Ted finds
> him okay) or to join the list, and he said it shouldn't be a problem,
> that Bob enjoyed talking to people.
>
> Talk about a small world!
>
> Keep Triumphing,
> Susan Hensley   :)
------=_NextPart_000_01BE9E1B.2EFD2440

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">Susan and Amici,<br><br>In December, =
our SCCA region had its annual awards banquet here in Fort Myers, Fl. =
autograph a picture of my TR-4 that I now hang proudly in my office. =
&nbsp;<br><br>According to my friend who was program chairman, it was =
difficult to convince Bob that anyone would be interested in what he had =
to say. &nbsp;Boy was he wrong! &nbsp;Autoweek had just run an article =
about his TR-8 that won some Trans-Am races before being legislated out =
of the series (apparently at the urging of the US manufacturers). =
&nbsp;He was able to expand on that story as well as let us know how big =
a part on of our regional member/drivers, Ed Diehl played in his career. =
&nbsp;<br><br>I also got to discuss with him a car I once owned that had =
been built by Brian Ferstineau? while he was still in the military in =
Hawaii. &nbsp;All in all, Bob was very charming and seemed genuinely =
surprised at the rapt attention the audience paid to his =
stories.<br><br>He now lives in Sebring and can occasionally be seen =
buzzing the track on race weekends in his P-51 Mustang warbird that he =
keeps in a hanger there on the old airport.<br> Roger Beasley<br>Cape =
Coral, Fl<br>----------<br>&gt; From: Susan Hensley &lt;<font =
color=3D"#0000FF"><u>susan@bearcom.com</u><font =
color=3D"#000000">&gt;<br>&gt; To: Friends of Triumph &lt;<font =
Spitfire List &lt;<font =
color=3D"#0000FF"><u>spitfires@autox.team.net</u><font =
color=3D"#000000">&gt;<br>&gt; Subject: Small, small world<br>&gt; Date: =
Just wanted to pass along some funny information -- last night I was =
in<br>&gt; downtown Dallas at the Jazz Under the Stars weekly free =
concert on the<br>&gt; lawn of the Dallas Museum of Art. &nbsp;The =
weather was PERFECT and the jazz<br>&gt; was good. &nbsp;We met some =
friends there, and they had some other friends of<br>&gt; theirs show =
up. &nbsp;After talking to one of them for a while, I found out<br>&gt; =
he was good friends with Bob Tullius, of Group 44 racing fame! =
&nbsp;He<br>&gt; apparently built the 18-wheeler Quaker State rig Bob =
hauled some of his<br>&gt; cars around with, and had some other =
participation as well. &nbsp;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; He told me about the =
&quot;Halloween Holocaust&quot; rallye up in the northeast<br>&gt; =
(anyone out there participate in these?) that was outlawed in 1966 =
but<br>&gt; finally ended in 1970. &nbsp;He told me some tales about the =
less-than-legal<br>&gt; escapades of the upwards-of-100 rallyists... =
&nbsp;One of the points of the<br>&gt; rallye was that each car club =
would man a checkpoint, and have the<br>&gt; rallyists do something at =
that checkpoint before they could go on. &nbsp;My<br>&gt; favorite was =
having to cook breakfast by the next checkpoint -- eggs in<br>&gt; =
radiators, bacon on manifolds, all sorts of hysterical doings. =
&nbsp;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; He said my questioning made him wonder what Bob =
was up to, and that he<br>&gt; would try to get in touch with him. =
&nbsp;I asked if he thought Bob would<br>&gt; have any problems if I =
contacted him for some information (if Ted finds<br>&gt; him okay) or to =
join the list, and he said it shouldn't be a problem,<br>&gt; that Bob =
enjoyed talking to people. <br>&gt; <br>&gt; Talk about a small =
&nbsp;&nbsp;:)</p>
------=_NextPart_000_01BE9E1B.2EFD2440--