fot

Re: Small, small world

To: sbracing@execpc.com, beeline@iline.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Small, small world
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 09:59:30 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/99 11:08:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
sbracing@execpc.com writes:

<< I know Bob's greatest pleasure is flying all his toys and doesn't seem
 to have any intrest in vintage racing.  But I will try.

Steve/Susan/Amici:

Clearly when SVRA featured TRIUMPH at MID-OHIO in 1992, BOB TULLIUS was the
Belle of the Ball.  For openers, he brought a lot of nice stuff.  Several
semi-loads as I recall, including the ultra-hot TransAm TR8, the (documented)
last TR6 made, and so on.  GROUP 44 was the focal point of the of the
Competition Paddock.

Mid-Ohio never expected, nor were they ready for the turn out generated by
the TRIUMPH marque.  Literally thousands of street TRIUMPHs showed up.  Peter
Egan (ROAD & TRACK), a long time friend of TRIUMPH and a club racer himself,
began his article on the event by saying, "I guess I always knew that there
were that many TRIUMPHs, I just never imagined that they'd ALL show up."

Ready or not for the turn out, MID-OHIO rose to the occasion.  The track had
hosted a Mexican cook out one of the nights.  The line for drinks  and food
was two to three wide, and SEVERAL blocks long.  I must compliment MID-OHIO
for their hospitality.  In an effort to stave off impatience, they had golf
carts running up and down the line, passing out cold beer.  Now that's class.
 And who do you suppose was one of the LAST people in line...BOB TULLIUS.  He
is a CLASS ACT.  When someone asked him why he was not at the head of the
line as a VIP, he said, "Are you kiddin?  I want to savor every minute of
this."

TULLIUS was Grand Marshall at a VSCDA event several years back.  He said does
not Vintage Race because he raced for a living.  He only know how to do it
ONE WAY.  All you have to do is look at the four (-4-) page, single spaced
pre-race check list, to know how intense TULLIUS is.  I doubt if racing
vintage style, would be relaxing to him.  I don't think he's got that gear.
He assured us that he is still very competitive.  It's his nature.  He can
still turn fast laps.  I am not surprised he now finds comfort in another
hobby.

Kas Kastner, as I recall, was racing at Lime Rock that week end.

P Neuman, a personal friend of Barbara Truman (MID-OHIO), was invited as
well.  The way I remember it, is that he was tempted to come, and wanted to
'drive' his old TR6, which was a FRESH restoration at the time.  While that
might have been arranged in some fashion, as you might imagine, the FOT
owner, Bill Warner, sure wanted to drive that event as well, and I think Paul
Neuman went to a CART event.

I can remember seeing Paul Neuman at early to mid-1980s TransAm events.  He
was still racing, and we were running the vintage sessions, when they had
them.  You didn't see him much.  He'd stick to his trailer, but early on
Sunday mornings, he used roam around, and he'd stop at the Triumph tent to
look at the cars.  And you're right.  If you wanted to talk racing, he'd talk
your arm off.  If you wanted to talk about Paul Neuman, he wouldn't even
answer.  I understand that.  He does not have to worry about me.  I'll want
to talk about racing.  But my wife.  That's another matter.  She'll want to
talk about Paul Neuman.

Bill Dentinger