fot

Bad Karma Day??

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Bad Karma Day??
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:07:08 -0400 (EDT)
Amici,

So, I woke up on Sunday at 5:30 AM because - well it was hot and I
couldn't sleep. So I decided to do some work on the race car.

FWIW, fellow FOT Bob Totten lent me a hand in the paint booth on Sat. I'
not supposed to tell anyone that - so you didn't hear it from me! ;-)
Yes folks, Khartu has paint all over the inner body. It just might get to
VTR yet.

Anyway - so my first order of business on Sunday was to get the gearbox
together. With a complete gearbox, I could install the engine in the
frame... this would be very big progress.

I went to install the "circlip from hell" on the main gear cluster...
well, true to its namesake, the clip split into three pices at that critical
moment when you try to get the clip onto the splined section of the
shaft... majorly bad problem. I don't have any spares... looks like I
have to call Sir Charles of Armagh.

Speaking of Chuck - have the doctors changed his presciption, or what??
Got a really strange flyer in the mail on Friday from TRF. I like to
dream too, but - well, he means well. I'll leave it at that. I'll bet the
regular Triumphs lists are full of endorsements/critiques of that
publication.

Oh well.

So, I can't finish the tranny. No prob. I'll put the axles together. In
short, in two hours, I had two upper half shafts assembled. I got to do
one twice because I put the freakin grease nipple thingie flipped around.
And no - it matters.

So - out the frame to install the axles. I figure - lets pop the rear
cover of the diff and make sure the gears are okay - even though I bought
the unit assembled something like 18 months ago, I had not looked in
there yet.

Well - and I actually have a question here, so bear with me - The ring
gear has a small chip on one tooth on the outer edge, and the immediate
adjacent tooth on the ring gear has a tiny chip and scratch.

I'm guessing that this is/was related to one of the multiple axle
failures this diff experienced while being driven by the Brothers Witt.

So, the question is - should I be concered with this chipped tooth?

At that point, I basically put everything back together and came in the
house to drink lots of fluids and watch the tele.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Note this ring/pinion is the "well travelled" 4.88 that was owned at one
timre or another by Jack Wheeler, Chip Bond, Scott/Gregg Witt and Pete
File. If any of you guys that have owned it could drop me a note, I'd
appreciate it.

And mjb - could you please try to get that other gear in the mail??

Thanks all.
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |