fot

dissatisfaction with SCCA

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: dissatisfaction with SCCA
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:10:44 -0400
Some of the recent postings to this list expressing disagreement with the
policies of SCCA strike a chord with me. Allow me to introduce myelf to the
list. My name is Phil Barnes. Andy Mace nominated me to membership in the
group. I am a rally driver/co-driver with 20 years experience in stage
rallies in the US and Canada. I am currently co-driving for John Shirley in
his ex-works TR7/V8.

>From what I am hearing, the feeling is that SCCA is mismanaging road
racing. From my side of the competition arena, SCCA is also mismanaging
stage rallies. The sport has seen a sudden surge in interest and SCCA's
response is to implement a program involving a clean-up of the image of
rallying, specifically new graphics packages, efforts to attract sponsors,
etc. For me, this is counter to what most in the sport are there for, which
is to have fun. I fear that SCCA's efforts will price the sport beyond the
reach of entry-level competitors and force them to court sponsorship in
order to compete at all.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (22 year owner)