fot

Re: Roger Beasley's 'Tilt'

To: Paul Richardson <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Roger Beasley's 'Tilt'
From: "michael l. cook" <mlcooknj@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:24:46 -0400
Paul Richardson wrote:

> FOTers
>
> Roger's logic >> the movement of scientists and Eclipse groupies to the
> south of England and the Cornish peninsular to see the eclipse is causing a
> tilt on our island<< is to be commended because we did have a 'tilt'
> problem in England just before the Normandy landings in the last war. The
> weight of the enormous amount of British and American soldiers and
> equipment (tanks, field guns, corned beef rolls and steak and kidney pies)
> that moved south to gather at the southern ports the night before D Day
> nearly caused total disaster. Southern England began a downward tilt into
> the ocean of some 10 degrees. The immediate problem was solved when 20
> divisions of extremely brave men from the Irish catering corps (45.000 men)
> realized the danger everyone was in. Under the command of Brigadier General
> Paddy Maclonerky they volunteered to dive in Portsmouth harbor and swim to
> the Normandy coast ( in full battle gear) under the cover of darkness to
> clear the beaches of mines and get the tea on for the troops the next day.
>
> Immediately after the war, the Cornish peninsular was under pinned to
> prevent a similar occurrence in the future. This was achieved by assembling
> hundreds of huge floatation tanks at the bottom of Cornish Tin Mines which
> were then moved through man made tunnels to coastal extremities and
> anchored to the bedrock.
>
> Paul
>
> ,
At last, a possible solution! Paul mentions corned beef rolls with which
I am unfamiliar. However, back in the 1960s, serious chassis alignment
problems began occurring in new Triumphs coming off the assembly line.
This was traced to a tilt in the alignment rig which was near the
canteen which served hundreds of traditional British sausage rolls at
lunch each day. The weight of these lardy pastries, as anyone who has
ever eaten one can attest, was considerable, causing the entire assembly
hall structure to shift towards the cafeteria line.

I also question whether a plot may exist, conspired by countries on the
eastern side of the Atlantic to drain moisture away from the United
States, drying up New Jersey and other Mid-Atlantic States and
accounting for my lawn being brown and crispy.

Come to think of it, "drying up" as related to this entire discusson,
wouldn't be a bad idea!

Mike Cook