fot

Re: Tubed Hoosiers?

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Tubed Hoosiers?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:04:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Jim Hill wrote:

> FOT Folk:
>
> I have a set of Hoosier Street TD's on my TR6 vintage race car. There's
> still at least a race or two left on the tread. After the last race weekend,
> the LF tire developed a slow leak - which turned out to be caused by a
> pinhole sized puncture.

Bummer.

No doubt from running over a part that fell off of an MG...

;-)

> I'm told that the tire can't be patched but can be run with a tube. How bad
> an idea is this?

I've actually successfully patched a Hoosier Radial D.O.T. tire, the
patch is applied inside the tire. The only difference is that I'll bet
the road race tire runs a bit hotter and for longer than an autocross
tire, so I doubt the patch would hold for very long.

Given the minor doubt and consiering safety, I'd opt for a new pair or
tires and keep the "good one" as a "spare".

> Jim Hill
> Madison WI

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |