fot

'BLOOMERS'

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: 'BLOOMERS'
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 22:35:33 +0100
We've all dropped the occasional 'bloomer', and I confess to contributing
my fair share. One of the most priceless motor racing bloomers, however,
was committed by my late godfather Raymond Mays of BRM.

To understand how funny this was 'Mr Ray' was a tall man of immaculate
dress, and manner who always wore perfectly tailored suits (usually dark
blue) silk shirts and ties of the most exquisite taste (as would befit a
man who served in the Brigade of Guards). He was extremely polite, had a
marvelous command of the English language, and rarely made mistakes.

One day at Bourne he was asked by some influential friends visiting his
home if he could organize for them to hear one of the BRM engines started.
He said 'Off course' and took the party across to the workshop 30 yards
from his house.

He saw a single F1 car in the shop and asked 'Willie Southcott' to wheel it
out into the yard and start it for his fiends. Willie said. "I'm sorry Mr.
Ray we cant start the car it's got no camshafts until the machine shop has
finished machining new ones."

Raymond retorted, "Never mind the bloody camshafts just get the engine
started."

Paul