fot

What's the diff?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: What's the diff?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:41:50 -0600 (MDT)
As faithful listeners will recall, I've been doing some diff work on a TR250.
It was an opportune time for Bob Bownes to ask about a 3.7 ring and pinion set.
I cracked open the case of one of the diffs I hauled over to the shop, to see
if maybe that gearset would work.  Tomorrow I'll take a camera down there to
document the innards.  This unit must have been left soaking in a bathtub for
a year or something.  A vague hint of that, uh, wonderful aroma of used hypoid
oil; Scott Fisher, I think it was, once described this in some terms relating
to the idea that once you smell it, you KNOW it has been squeezed out of
something that has been dead for tens of thousands of years.  Yes, a whiff of
oil, but no shiny metal left in this unit!  Film at 11.

Speaking of shiny metal, while digging about for something else entirely, I
found a set of valve springs and aluminum retainers.  These date back to the
days maybe a decade or so ago when I was assisting a local fellow in putting
a fairly hot engine in his TVR 2500.  That car happens to be for sale at the
moment, with a low mileage, disassembled motor in need of crank and bearing
work.  By the way, when strolling into the breaker's yard in search of
whatever old used oil cooler you kick up, think of the old adage "Penny wise,
pound foolish"  Why didn't he talk to me first?  Sigh.  Actually, I wish I
had the resources to purchase the car myself, but such is not the case.  So
it goes.

Anyway, is anyone in need of what I think is a full-race set of valve springs
and alloy caps for a TR6?  These require machining of the head to enlarge the
spring seats, I should dig out my old paperwork and see if I can find the
TriumphTune part number, and provide a bit more info.  It might be a while
before I come up with a need for these.  Well, I could use 2/3rds of the set
on a bitchin' Spit 1500 motor....

mjb.