fot

Re: "Were Raced"?and Vintage Racing

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Were Raced"?and Vintage Racing
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:04:31 -0700
I believe that part of the essence of  "Vintage Racing "  is the
preservation of historically significant cars.  It should also be for the
preservation of any real race cars from the era that we want to designate as
significant.
So if you can show that a car was really raced in a certain form with a real
sanctioning body, then I would say that it would be fair to race it that
way.  Fender flairs certainly change the appearance of a car.  Whether they
improve or detract may be a matter of personal opinion, but I don't think
that they alone are going to make a significant  diference in a cars
performnance. What bothers me are Dry sumped engines, oversize valves,
oversize carburators (like MG-Bs with 2 inch  SU carbs, they should run the
1 3/4  inch carbs that were optional in the mid 60's), oversize engines,
super lowered suspensions, altered suspension pickup points and radically
altered geometry.  Also non original transmissions, like datsun 5 speeds in
so called "sprites".

Regards, Greg Solow